Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Whale-Mart

Last night I spent some time with Chapter 1. I liked it. I really liked it. Here are my favorite parts:

1. The description of how he is feeling that makes him want to jump on a boat and head out to sea

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses..." (p21)

Brilliant - this is just brilliant. I can totally relate to that damp, Novembery feeling in the soul. I, however, take myself to Walmart or Target when I feel that way, rather then down to the docks.

2. "Yes, as every one knows, meditation and water are wedded for ever." (p22)

Timeless, I say. This book is timeless. I meditated on this thought for a while and it is true. One of the reasons that I do my best thinking in a good, hot shower.

3. The reason he chooses not to go to sea as a cook

"I never fancied broiling fowls; -- though once broiled, judiciously buttered, and judgmatically salted and peppered, there is no one who will speak more respectfully, not to say reverentially, of a broiled fowl than I will." (p23)

I could read that sentence over and over for days and not get bored. Yes, it could have been said in fewer words - but why? I find myself with an intense craving for roast chicken.

4. This description of the sea

"It is the image of the ungraspable phantom of life; and this is the key to it all." (p23)

I have no idea what this means but I feel like when I finally do understand it, I will be a way better person.

5. "And there is all all the difference in the world between paying and being paid." (p.24)

Think about that for a few moments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now on to Chapter 2 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment