Monday, March 7, 2011

I saw a whale once off the coast of Puerto Rico

And so it begins -- my fourth attempt to read Moby Dick.

This morning when I woke up, I felt this strange urge to try and read this book again. I have no idea why this was my first thought today. But I am going with it. I have convinced myself that my prior attempts failed due to lack of support. I mean, surely it wasn't that the book was too hard for me. I have two freaking Master's degrees and an ABD of which I am very proud. So it must be lack of support. I mean, surely it can't be that some old, dead, white man got the better of me with his book full of words and more words about words. I saw a whale once off the coast of Puerto Rico. I love whales, always have. This should be no problem.

All I need is some support. My FB friends were not overwhelming in their support. But their anti-support I suppose counts as support of some sort. Hopefully this blog will bring me some support - all support welcome.

I will read this book. I just checked and it is only 536 pages. I really thought it was a lot more than that. 536 pages, I can do that. I just need a little support. So off I go jumping into the deep end (come on, you knew I couldn't resist some ocean cliches).

Here we go...

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! Mark doesn't read ever and he loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to join you. I've always wanted to read it, too.

    ReplyDelete